Pope accused of PR stunt

The Sydney Morning Herald


21 tháng 7, 2008


Pope accused of PR stunt

The Sydney Morning Herald

July 21, 2008

The Catholic Church has been accused of "hand-picking" four victims of clergy sex abuse for a secretive meeting with the Pope.

Pope Benedict XVI met the victims and their supporters after holding a private mass for them at St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney early on Monday morning, hours before he flew out of Australia.

The Vatican said the pontiff held the meeting to reiterate his deep concern following his apology to sex abuse victims on Saturday.

"He listened to their stories and offered them consolation," the Vatican said in a statement.

"Assuring them of his spiritual closeness, he promised to continue to pray for them, their families and all victims."

The meeting, which lasted about 30 minutes, was not made public until after it had occurred, but Sydney Archbishop Cardinal George Pell said it had been weeks in the planning.

It was one of the pontiff's last acts before jetting out of Australia at the conclusion of the World Youth Day (WYD) program.

Support group Broken Rites said the meeting was more about managing the media than addressing concerns about the church's ongoing handling of child sex abuse by clergy.

"I'm afraid that what they've done is selected victims who have agreed with what the church's policies are," Broken Rites spokeswoman Chris MacIsaac said.

"They've not been prepared to face someone who disagrees."

Ms MacIsaac said such a meeting only served to show abuse victims the church "doesn't understand where they are coming from".

"People who have been locked out by the church in the past continue to be locked out," she said.

Dr Pell said the two men and two women who met with the pontiff had wanted to remain anonymous.

They were aged in their 30s and were selected by the church's Professional Standards Office, but Dr Pell said he did not know the selection criteria.

When asked why the church had chosen people who were not prepared to speak publicly, Dr Pell replied: "I'm not sure that was a criterion one way or the other."

He then added: "There were no pre-conditions.

"There was an invitation extended through our Professional Standards Office.

"I wasn't over the top of those details, I didn't know who they were asking or how they were going about it, but the people who were there were very grateful they were there."

Anthony and Christine Foster flew from Britain to Sydney in the hope of meeting with the Pope and the church hierarchy about the rape of their daughters by a Catholic priest. They failed to secure an audience.

One of their daughters, Emma, committed suicide this year, while the other, Katherine, became a heavy drinker and was left disabled when she was hit by a drunk driver in 1999.

"They've held us on the end of a line all week knowing that we wanted to have these discussions, so we can move the church forward, and instead they've treated us with the utmost discourtesy," Mr Foster said.

"We're very disappointed that the pontiff hasn't chosen to listen to a truly representative view of victims."

The Fosters have accused the Catholic Church of stalling their compensation claim, which was eventually settled out of court after an eight-year legal battle.

Dr Pell said: "Many, many hundreds of people have contacted me wanting to meet the Pope ... I wasn't able to accommodate all of them."

He described Monday's meeting as one of "reconciliation and healing", which would "send out a message of the genuine sorrow of the Pope and of the Australian bishops".

On Saturday, the Pope departed from his prepared homily to apologise to minors who had suffered abuse at the hands of clergy.

"Indeed I am deeply sorry for the pain and suffering the victims have endured and I assure them that, as their pastor, I too share in their suffering," he said.

"These misdeeds, which constitute so grave a betrayal of trust, deserve unequivocal condemnation.

"Those responsible for these evils must be brought to justice."




Abuse victim: Pope apology pointless

By Vincent Morello

The Sydney Morning Herald

July 08, 2008

A MAN who was sexually assaulted by a Catholic priest says any apology from the Pope to Australian abuse victims will be pointless.

Anthony Jones wants Sydney Archbishop Cardinal George Pell to resign over his actions during a church investigation into his assault.

Mr Jones, a former Catholic educator, was sexually abused by Father Terrence Goodall in 1982 and informed the church about it 20 years later.

The 54-year-old has since suffered two mental breakdowns and has been on a disability pension since 2000.

Pope Benedict XVI arrives in Sydney on Sunday for World Youth Day with an expectation he will make an apology on behalf of clergy who have sexually abused Australians.

Mr Jones said the timing of his controversy invalidated such a sentiment.

"What's the point of an apology when the senior ranking titled cleric in the Catholic church of Australia is still covering up sex abuse," Mr Jones said.

"I believe Cardinal Pell should resign. And I think people should call for his resignation."

Dr Pell today said he was mistaken when he wrote to Mr Jones in 2003, saying no one else contacted the church with sexual abuse claims against Father Goodall.

But the head of the Catholic Church in Australia wrote to another man that year, stating a church investigation confirmed he was sexually assaulted as a boy by Father Goodall.

Dr Pell today said the letter to Mr Jones "was badly worded and a mistake" and was meant to convey there was "no other allegation of rape".

Mr Jones made the letter public yesterday.

He dismissed the archbishop's response today, saying he never stated to the church or police that he was raped.

"I did not say that he (Goodall) had penetrated me," Mr Jones told AAP.

"I was worried he was going to, but he certainly sexually assaulted me.

"Cardinal Pell is being deceitful. He's not being truthful."

As recently as last month, Mr Jones agreed to terminate a civil case in the NSW Supreme Court against the church, saying the laws only allow him to sue Father Goodall or Cardinal Pell, which would have been fruitless.

"I agreed to walk away from it, they wouldn't sue me for their fees and I wouldn't continue to sue them," Mr Jones said.

"I just realised I was wasting my time."



" International Traffic in Catholic Priests Who Abuse"

By Richard Sipe and K.K. Murray

SNAP [United States]

April 17, 2007


The problem of foreign born or educated priests who come to the United States and subsequently abuse minors is and has been a problem for the American church. Some of the clergy coming to the US have abused prior to their service in dioceses here and also continue to abuse after they flee the US, often for their native country.

It is well documented that U.S. bishops Frequently transferred Catholic priests accused of sexual abuse to various venues within their own jurisdictions after receiving allegations—a different

parish, chaplaincy, or to another bishop. (Approximately 60 percent of priests were reassigned after the first report of abuse. Cf. Sipe & Murray, October 18, 2006). The hierarchy also moved accused priests across international borders to other countries where many continued to work with children and were often able to avoid scandal, evade prosecution or extradition. These transfers are one of many ways in which global Catholicism affects the abuse crisis in the United

States. This is a partial working list. We are working to expand it.  If any readers have additional information please contact our Web www.richardsipe.com.* BishopAccountability.org has assembled documentation From news sources about specific clergy and dioceses involved in some of these maneuvers.

[For an excellent discussion of the pros and cons of foreign priests to serve in the US Cf. International Priests In America]

Fr. Nicolas Aguilar was a priest in Puebla state of Mexico where he abused boys; he then transferred to Los Angeles, where he ultimately was charged with 19 felony counts of child abuse.

Fr. Arnulfo Arandia became priest in Guayaquil, Ecuador who moved to Miami, Florida, where he abused, then moved to Jackson, MS. He fled back to Ecuador after Florida abuse charges surfaced in 2002.

Fr. Theodore Baquedano-Pech was a visiting priest in San Francisco From Mexcio. He abused in San Francisco but returned to Mexico and charges of abuse were never pursued.

Fr. Roberto Batoon was an extern priest From Philippines working in Honolulu. Accused of abuse he fled back to Philippines.

Fr. Hugh Behan a priest From Ireland worked as a priest in Jefferson City MO where he was accused of abusing a 13 year old girl (1983) and a young woman. He was deFrocked in 1999.

Fr. Gerardo Beltran was a priest in Sacramento where he abused. When a warrant was issued for his arrest in 1992, so he fled to Mexico where he again was an active priest.

Fr. Gustavo Benson was a priest in San Bernadino Diocese accused of abuse in the late 1980's, fled to Tijuana, Mexico where he worked as priest.

Fr. John Pierre Bongila was born, raised, educated, and ordained in the D.R. of Congo. He came to San Francisco without a prior invitation From the archdiocese although he later made his presence known and was granted faculties by Archbishop Levada in 1995. Only in July 2002 did

the archdiocese request a letter of "good standing" From Bongila's bishop. As of August 2004 that letter was not in Bongila's  archdiocesan files. [The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Office of Child and Youth Protection in their audit (10-25 to 29-04) of the archdiocese's compliance with the Charter for the Protection of Young People chided Levada by noting that the Archdiocese "Required Action: Provide a schedule for the completion of the background

investigations for employees and volunteers." ] A teen girl, also From the Congo, accused Bongila of sexual abuse. The case was settled for an undisclosed amount of money. Bongila went to St. Paul MN where he teaches in a Catholic college.

Fr. Barry Bossa was a priest in Yonkers, New York who, after being accused of child abuse for the second time in 2002 (he plead guilty to a charge in 1974) fled to Rome.

Fr. Jose Briceno was a priest in Phoenix who fled to Mexico after accusations of abuse.

Fr. David Brusky was a priest in Reno, NV who abused there, and then fled to AFrica.

Fr. Michael Cashman a native of Ireland served in the diocese of Metuchen NJ. He admitted sexually molesting a woman and two of her children a teenage daughter and son.

Fr. Paul Cleary came From Ireland to the archdiocese of San Antonio TX. He engaged in sexual relationships with several women whom he courted when they were teenagers, but waited until they were 18 before he had sexual intercourse with them. He claimed—and Archbishop Flores

backed him—that the relationships were consensual. He remained in ministry.

Fr. Patrick Colleary was a priest in Phoenix who fled to Ireland after accusations of abuse.

Fr. George A. Costigan a Philadelphia priest was accused of minor abuse in 1993. Sent to the Felician Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi Convent and later Puentenansa, Spain in 2002. He returned as convent chaplain in 2004 and participated in Hurricane Katrina relief efforts

in 2006.

Fr. Manus Daly is a priest From Ireland who came to the Jefferson City MO diocese. He abused minors when he was on the staff of a seminary in Hannibal, MO with Anthony O'Connell. After allegation he returned to Ireland.

Fr. Alexander (Alejandro) Delgado was a priest in Fall River, MA who was accused of abuse in 1997, possibly fled to Colombia.

Fr. Paul M. Desilets was a priest in Boston who abused there From 1974-1984. Fled to Canada, From whence he was ultimately extradited in 2002.

Fr. Enrique Diaz Jiminez ordained in Venezuala in 1977 he abused minors there before he was assigned to Queens NY diocese where he also abused. He was convicted of sexual abuse in 1991 in Queens and deported to Venezuala where he was re-assigned to priesthood and again abused. Venezuala suspended him so he fled to Columbia in 1995 and  accused of abuse in Columbia. He was sentenced to house arrest for 53 months in 2002.

Fr. Arwyn Diesta came to Los Angeles as extern priest From Philippines, abused one person in 1982-1983, returned to Philippines in 1988, accused in 1992.

Fr. Jesús Armando Dominguez, of the San Bernardino/ San Diego diocese was accused of abuse in Perris and Coachella, California. He fled to Mexico after 59 charges of abuse were filed.


Fr. Manuel Fernandez was a priest in Trenton, New Jersey who was removed From post in 2002 after being accused of molesting a teenage girl. He then moved to Diocese of Ourense, Spain.

Fr. Matthew Fitzgerald is a priest From Ireland. He came to the Rockville Center NY diocese in 1970. After he abused boys there he was transferred to Palm Beach FL where he continued to abuse boys.

Fr. Frank Flynn came From Ireland to the Palm Beach, FL diocese. There he is alleged had sexual intercourse with 3 women who had consulted him for counseling. He returned to Ireland where he works at a seminary.

Fr. James D. Foley a Boston priest/ abused there/ sent to Calgary, Canada/ abused there/ sent back to Boston. 1968 (May 23).

Fr. Robert Foley was a priest in Orange County who admitted to molesting an 8-year-old boy in 1985, he then fled to England.

Fr. Ross. S. Frey was a priest in Boston who abused minors From 1973-1984. Placed on leave in 1996, he fled to Lebanon.

Fr. Lucas Galvan was a priest in Pueblo Diocese of Colorado who abused there and then fled to Argentina. Ultimately became active priest in Mexico.

Fr. Cristobal Garcia admitted to having sex with two altar boys while a priest in Los Angeles in 1986. He fled to the Philippines, where he was ultimately promoted to monsignor.

Fr. Francisco Javier Garcia came to Sacramento From Mexico; he fled again to Mexico after being accused of abuse in 1995.

Fr. Javier Gutierrez was a priest in Alaska who fled to Mexico after allegations of abuse in 1988.

Fr. Joseph Henn was a priest in Phoenix; he fled to Rome after 13 charges of molestation were lodged against him in 2004.

Fr. Juan Francisco Hinojos was a priest in Chicago accused of abusing minors there. He fled to Mexico.

Fr. John Huels was a priest in Chicago when accused of abuse in 1994, went to Canada where he taught graduate courses in canon law.

Fr. Tilak A. Jayawardene came to Los Angeles From Sri Lanka in 1987, indicted for abuse in 1991, fled to Sri Lanka before arrest.

Fr. Thomas Kane accused of minor abuse in Worcester, MA in 1993. He fled to Mexico, where he was working as a teacher in 2002.

Fr. Austin Peter Keegan was also a priest in Santa Rosa, California who fled to Mexico in 2002 after being indicted on charges of abuse.

Fr. Patrick M. Kelley was visiting priest From Ireland in Los Angeles.  Accused of abuse in 1991, fled to Ireland before arrest, never returned to United States.

Fr. Michael Kenny came From Ireland to San Antonio TX. He admitted that while working there he had intercourse with six women and was sexually intimate with four others. When one woman testified that she was seduced as a teenager he fled to Ireland.

Fr. Frank Klep was a priest in Australia who transferred to a diocese in Samoa after accusations of abuse in 1988.

Fr. Lah an extern priest was accused of abuse in San Diego and fled to Mexico.

Fr. Thomas R. Marshall was charged with 20 counts of abuse while priest in Los Angeles between 1959-1963. He fled to Canada.

Fr. Richard Mataconis was a priest in New York who fled to Rome after two men accused him of abusing them in the 1970s.

Fr. Leonardo Mateo was a visiting priest From the Philippines in Los Angeles. Accused of abuse in 1983, 1991, 2003 he ultimately fled to Philippines where he died in 2004.

Fr. Edward McLoughlin trained in Ireland and served in Venice, FL.  ConFronted with allegations of abusing boys he fled to Ireland.

Fr. Thomas McNamara served in the Jacksonville diocese where he abused teenage boys. He returned to Ireland and continued to abuse minors.

Fr. Anthony Mercieca a priest From Brazil served in several parishes in the Archdiocese of Miami FL. In 2006 a member of the US congress, Mark Foley, and one other adult man accused the priest of sexual abuse when they were teenagers. Mercieca had already retired to Malta.

Fr. Antonio Munoz was a priest in Stockton who was forced to return to Mexico after allegations of abuse.

Fr. Anthony Muthu Hilary was sent From India to Manchester NH diocese in 1995 with history of alcoholism and abuse of women. He sexually assaulted a woman in Manchester during her confession. He was sent back to India where he works at a technical college.

Fr. Xavier Ochoa was a priest of the Santa Rosa diocese, Sonoma County, California who was accused of abuse in 2006 and fled to Mexico.

Bishop Anthony J. O'Connell was born and trained in Ireland and Kennrick, MO seminary after he was turned down as a candidate by 36 dioceses and religious orders. He was consecrated a bishop for Jefferson City MO and later served in Palm Beach FL. He was accused of abusing (5 plus) boys when he was a spiritual director in a Hannibal MO seminary. He continued sexual contact with some of his victims even as a bishop and paid them significant amounts of money. A priest and former victim of O'Connell, Fr. Dixon finally reported O'Connell who has never been criminally or civilly prosecuted because of the restriction of the statute of limitations. He is retired in a Trappist monastery, but travels Frequently to Ireland.

Fr. Liam O'Doherty trained in Ireland for the Ogdensburg NY diocese where he was accused of molesting over 20 girls and 2 women in two decades. He returned to Ireland.

Fr. Oliver Francis O'Grady was accused of abuse in Stockton, California, served seven years in prison, and ultimately fled to Ireland.

Fr. Patrick O'Keeffe was accused of abuse when he was a priest in San Bernadino. He fled to Ireland after being criminally charged in 2002 and Ireland won't extradite him.

Fr. James O'Malley trained in Ireland for the Spokane WA diocese. He abused at least 15 boys there between the late 1950s and 1989 when he returned to Ireland.

Fr. Emmanuel Omemaga was a priest in San Diego who fled to the Philippines after being accused of abuse in 1993

Fr. Mario Pezzotti was a priest in Boston that settled an abuse case in 1993. Fled to Brazil.

Fr. Costellano Jose Pinal was a priest in Sacramento who fled to Mexico after being accused of abuse

Fr. John Steven Rabideau was a priest in Detroit; accused of abuse 1998, he immediately fled the U.S. He was an active priest in Philippines in 2004; caught in South America in 2006 trying to enter Colombia.

Fr. Eleuterio Ramos was a priest in Orange County who abused in the 1980s, fled to Tijuana, Mexico where he worked as priest until mid-1990s.

Fr. Robert Reiss abused teen boys in Dubuque IA archdiocese in the 1970s. DeFrocked in 1997 he moved to Mexico.

Fr. Andrew Ronan admitted that he abused boys in Ireland prior to serving in the archdiocese of Portland OR. He abused more boys there and in Chicago.

Fr. EFrain Roso a priest of Bogotá, Columbia abused minors there and was sent to Los Angeles (1967-1969) where he continued to abuse. He fled to Columbia where he again abused minors.

Monsignor Ivan Rovira was accused and admitted to raping boy in Brownsville, Texas. He then fled to Mexico, where he took job at a Catholic university.

Fr. Jorge Hume Salas was born in Costa Rica. Although he had been a sometime seminary student when bishop G. Patrick Ziemann met him he was not ordained when the bishop brought him From Honduras to the Santa Rosa CA diocese. There the bishop saw to his education and

ordained him in 1992 for his diocese. Fr. Hume complained that several men had approached him for sex. He later sued bishop Ziemann for having sexual relations with him on countless occasions. The diocese made a settlement of 435 K with Hume who fled to Honduras taking his

lawyers fee with him. Bishop Ziemann retired to a desert monastery is Arizona, but he has been seen on many occasions at gay parties in Tucson.

Fr. Augustine Sheehan was ordained in Ireland and ten years later came to serve in the Rockville Center, NY diocese. A former nun, also Irish, claimed that he had raped her. She had a D&C to prevent pregnancy. Sheehan said they "may have had sex another night after a wild party," but he didn't remember. He was placed on administrative leave.

Fr. Fidencio Silva was a Los Angeles Archdiocesan priest in Oxnard, California who abused boys in the early 80's Fled to Mexico, where he was an active priest in 2002.

Fr. Michael Simpson came to Spokane WA From Ireland. He abused at least 8 nine-year-old girls who he digitally raped. He returned to Ireland.

 Fr. Brendan Smyth, O Praem. Abused in Ireland and Scotland before he was sent to Fargo North Dakota where he abused and returned to Ireland where he abused in the North and South of Ireland. He was imprisoned after his scandal brought down the Irish government of Albert Reynolds in 1994.

 Fr. Adrzej Sujka was a priest in Boston who admitted to abuse there. Sent back to Poland after allegation.

Fr. Santiago L. Tamayo ordained in Philippines, moved to Los Angeles Archdiocese in 1968, accused of abuse in 1984, fled to Philippines

Fr. Carl D. Tesler was priest in Los Angeles accused of abuse in 1988, fled to Peru where he was still active priest as of 3/05

Fr. Esteban Trujillo was a priest of San Bernadino accused of abuse and fled to Mexico.

Fr.Valentine Tugade was priest in Los Angeles California who fled to Philippines after accusation of abuse in 1984. Proved to be father of child born From abuse.

Fr. James Tulley was a priest in Milwaukee who fled to Rome after accusations of abuse.

Fr. Luis Urbina was a priest in Sacramento, California who pled guilty to abusing a boy but fled to Navojoa, Mexico before he could be sentenced.

Fr. Enrique Vasquez fled criminal accusations in Costa Rica in 1988 to serve as a priest in New York, Hartford, Conn., and Mexico, and then was sent to Honduras.

Fr. John Velez was a visiting priest who abused in Salinas, Arizona - part of the Tucson diocese. He fled to Mexico in 1991 and church claims his whereabouts were unknown as of 2003.

Fr. Henry Xavier Vetter was priest of Los Angeles accused of abuse in 1960s and 1970s, fled to Mexico.

Fr. Ron Voss Eight men in Lafayette, Louisiana accused him of abuse when they were minors. He received treatment for being a sexual offender and then fled to Haiti in 1988, where he continued with mission work.

Fr. SiegFried F. Widera was a priest in Milwaukee where he was convicted of sexual misconduct in 1973. He then moved to Orange County and abused there From 1976 to 1985, he then fled to Mexico where he was working as a priest.



Trang Tôn Giáo